Running shoes are one of the most important pieces of gear for any runner. They provide support, cushioning, and traction, all of which are essential for preventing injuries and running your best. But how do you know if your running shoes fit properly?
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- The shoe should fit snugly in the heel. When you walk or run, your heel should not slip out of the shoe. If it does, you may need a different size or width.
- The shoe should have a little bit of room in the toe box. You should have about a thumb’s width of space between your longest toe and the end of the shoe. This will allow your toes to move naturally and prevent them from getting cramped.
- The shoe should be comfortable. You should not feel any pressure points or pain when you wear your running shoes. If you do, you may need a different size, width, or type of shoe.
It’s also important to note that your feet can change size throughout the day. So, it’s best to try on your running shoes in the afternoon or evening, when your feet are at their largest.
If you’re not sure if your running shoes fit properly, it’s always a good idea to have a professional fit you for a pair. Each of our staff members are trained to help you find the right shoes for your feet and running style. Our 3-2-Run! fit process allows us to conduct a static and dynamic analysis using Fitstation by Superfeet, and our treadmill test.
Here are a few additional tips for choosing the right running shoes:
- Consider your foot type. Are your feet flat, high-arched, or somewhere in between? Different foot types require different types of support, which we can determine during our fit process.
- Think about your running surface. Are you mostly running on roads, trails, or a mix of both? The type of surface you run on will affect the type of shoe you need.
- Consider your running style. Do you overpronate, supinate, or have a neutral gait? Your running style will also affect the type of shoe you need, so we’ll help you find the right category for your footstrike.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be sure to find the perfect pair of running shoes to help you reach your running goals. Visit your local A Snail’s Pace and experience the difference a properly fit shoe can make for you!